A stir has been caused in Muberry, FL after five students were sent to the hospital after consuming pot-laced gummies.
The problem started when a 12-year-old boy shared the psychoactive candy with his fellow classmates in gym.
It wasn’t long before school officials found several students feeling dizzy or nauseous, with one nearly fainting.
Although Mulberry Middle School officials couldn’t be reached for comment, they did realize a statement to parents.
“Dear families, This message is being sent on behalf of Mulberry Middle School. We are cooperating with the Polk County Sheriff’s Office on an incident that occurred at school today,” the statement reads. “At this point, it is our understanding a student brought candy to school that contains THC, the chemical found in marijuana. The candy was consumed by other students, five of whom have been taken to the hospital for examination. We will continue to cooperate with the Sheriff’s Office during this ongoing investigation. Thank you.”
The student who brought the candy has not been identified due to age, but faces the possibilities of one misdemeanor charge and seven felonies.
Sheriff Grady Judd of the Polk County Police Department said, “We have long been concerned about the dangers of marijuana-infused candy, and that it would get into the hands of, and poison, children. Here is an example of that.”